Julia K Maxwell, MA LMHC
My Counseling Approach
My general therapeutic approach is client centered, present moment – in that I view a client’s recognition of his/her own strengths to be of compelling importance to their mental health. I also view as critical insight a client’s recognition of what the reality of the moment is – not the thought. I work with the client to bring these two areas of insight to bear on aspects of life in which the client is unable to move forward.
I tend to adhere to a practical therapeutic approach, believing that if therapy is to be effective for a client, it should be effective in a reasonable length of time. This belief does not rule out longer-term therapeutic relationships but dictates that they be continually effective, nor does it preclude a client from returning to therapy. If you are seeking a therapist that nods in affirmation and sits quietly … I may not be the therapist for you.
I work with clients themselves, or clients and family members, as is appropriate and desired by the individuals concerned.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Advanced Clinical Hypnotherapist, The Wellness Institute
- EMDR trained, EMDR Institute
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, St. Martins University, Lacey, Washington
- BA Psychology, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Washington, Cum Laude